(see Calendar Changes, Morning, High Holidays, Inclusive Time, Lunar Cycle Change, New Year, Sabbath, Sabbaths)
Philo who was alive at the same time as Yeshua / Jesus states that the new moon is the dark conjunction:
Following the order which we have adopted, we proceed to speak of the third festival, that of the new moon. First of all, because it is the beginning of the month, and the beginning, whether of number or of time, is honorable. Secondly, because at this time there is nothing in the whole of heaven destitute of light. Thirdly, because at that period the more powerful and important body gives a portion of necessary assistance to the less important and weaker body; for, at the time of the new moon, the sun begins to illuminate the moon with a light which is visible to the outward senses, and then she displays her own beauty to the beholders…
Philo, Special Laws II, Section XXVI (140-142)
The third [festival] is that which comes after the conjunction, which happens on the day of the new moon in each month.
Philo, Special Laws II, Section XI (41)
This is the New Moon, or beginning of the lunar month, namely the period between one conjunction and the next, the length of which has been accurately calculated in the astronomical schools.
Philo, Special Laws II, Section XXVI (140)
…there is one principle of reason by which the moon waxes and wanes in equal intervals, both as it increases and diminishes in illumination; the seven lambs because it receives the perfect shapes in periods of seven days—the half-moon in the first seven day period after its conjunction with the sun, full moon in the second; and when it makes its return again, the first is to half-moon, then it ceases at its conjunction with the sun.
Philo, Special Laws I, (178)
And this feast is begun on the fifteenth day of the month, in the middle of the month, on the day on which the moon is full of light, in consequence on the providence of Elohim taking care that there shall be no darkness on that day.
Philo, Special Laws II, The Fifth Festival, Section XXVIII (155)
For it is said in the Scripture: On the tenth day of this month let each of them take a sheep according to his house; in order that from the tenth, there may be consecrated to the tenth, that is to God, the sacrifices which have been preserved in the soul, which is illuminated in two portions out of the three, until it is entirely changed in every part, and becomes a heavenly brilliancy like a full moon, at the height of its increase at the end of the second WEEK…
Philo, On Mating with the Preliminary Studies, X1X (102), page 313
The fourth commandment has reference to the sacred seventh day that it may be passed in a sacred and holy manner. Some states keep the “holy festival” only once in the month, counting from [after] the new moon [day], as a day sacred to God; but the nation of the Jews keep every seventh day regularly, after each interval of six days.
Philo, The Decalogue, XX (96)
Various Psalm 81:3 translations:
TS2009 Psalm 81:3 Blow a shophar in the New moon, in the covering for the day of our festival.
Jewish Bible Psalm 81:3 Sound the shofar to mark the new month, the time of concealment of our Festival day.
ESV Psalms 81:3 Blow the trumpet at lthe new moon, at the full moon, on our feast day.
Recording I have done on the subject.
- If you believe when Joseph Smith received the gold plates was during Feast of Trumpets, starting the day at sunset and using the first visible crescent of the moon does not work with the calendar.
Scripture Study 2022-09-26
Articles showing the New Moon is the Dark Conjunction:
- New Moon Day: The Dawn After Conjunction
- Philo and the Lunar Sabbath
- Philo and the Weekly Sabbath!
- Is the new moon the full moon? (backup)
- Is the New Moon the full moon? Another Look (backup)
- When does the Hebrew Month begin?
Videos showing the New Moon is the Dark Conjunction:
Videos showing the New Moon is not the first visible crescent:
- DARK OR CRESCENT ORIGIN OF THE CONFUSION EXPLAINED
- Problems the FVC causes, including moonths shorter than 29 days, which does not happen in nature Sighting the New Moon in the Middle Ages
Videos showing the New Moon is not the Full Moon:
- Was the 15th of the Month a Dark Moon or Full Moon when Israel left Egypt? Full Moon is NOT New Moon.
- Full Moon is NOT New Moon Day
- Why Full Moon is NOT New Moon. When is New Moon Day?
- The Full Moon Is Not The New Moon
Articles showing that the First Visible Crescent is not the New Moon:
How to determine New Moon, Dark Conjunction, by hand:
- Calculating the Conjunction: No Computer? No Problem!
- How to Determine the Conjunction of the New Moon Without a Computer or Time Tables
- When does the Hebrew Month begin?
- How to calculate conjunction. The meaning behind the numbers
- New Moon Day- Dawn After Conjunction
When was the Moon Created?